Friday, June 5, 2009

Poetry Friday: A Poem from Book Titles



This was fun. The challenge was to create a poem from real book titles, no filler, no connective tissue, nothing else, just the book titles. Here's my response (and if you feel like adding a book-title poem in the comments, be my guest.) Don't miss Tricia's version, titled "Nobody's Fool" over at The Miss Rumphius Effect - it's wonderful. The only rule: you have to provide the titles and authors of the books you use. If you can link to a Book Title Poem you've posted, that would be great.

Naked

What's really wrong with you? Eating Chinese food naked,
walking naked, praying naked, dancing naked
in front of the fridge, dancing naked
at the edge of dawn, under the naked
sky....On the other hand, I've seen a lot of people naked,
and they've got nothing on you.

* * *

Books Used:
Naked by David Sedaris
What's Really Wrong with You by Thomas Griner
Eating Chinese Food Naked by Mei Ng
Walking Naked by Alyssa Brugman
Praying Naked by J. Francis Stroud
Dancing Naked in Front of the Fridge by Nancy J. Sipes
Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn by Kris Radish
Under the Naked Sky by Denys Johnson-Davies
On the Other Hand by Rachel White Adams
I've Seen a Lot of People Naked and They've Got Nothing on You by Jake Steinfeld

------------------------------------------------

Poetry Friday is hosted today by Sara Lewis Holmes over at READ WRITE BELIEVE. Go on over, see what people are offering up today.

14 comments:

  1. Julie -- I love the last two lines. Brilliant compliment within a zinger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved waking up to this, Julie! Brings a smile to my face. And those chubby little babies adds to the fun of the poem. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! We've written centos several times for the stretch, but I always need filler. Kudos to you for managing without them!


    Here's the one I wrote last year using book titles. It's called Nobobdy's Fool. All the titles came off y bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me think of when my two year old daughter used to make mad naked runs through the house after bath time.

    Have you seen the visual depictions of book title poems, where people arrange actual covers to spell out new meanings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naked? And to think that I saw it on Mulberry street!

    Tough challenge that, and I'm glad you took it, not me. But that's quite fun, indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't decide if I love the photo or the poem more. Utter happiness...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha this is really cool. I am wondering how you went about searching for these books, however, and what got you on the topic... hmmmm.

    Adorable babies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naked is beautiful. This rocks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore this - so witty, and so, so, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie, love your poem! And that photo! It's tough for me to resist a challenge like this (my own naked truth), so I gave it a shot over at my site:
    http://marthacalderaro.wordpress.com/2009/06/06/entitled/

    Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea. I love it! Makes me want to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imagine my surprise when I came back here and saw a link to my poem! That certainly wasn't my intent (just wanted to share), but thank you for the honor.

    ReplyDelete