Friday, August 16, 2013

Poetry Friday: "First Crushes" and the Door to Wonder


Holland Cotter, art critic at The New York Times, winner of a Pulitzer Prize for Criticism, writes about his love of recited poetry in the wonderful new series "First Crush":

Here's a preview of the essay, titled "Finding Poetry on the Page and, Later, on the Canvas":

I was lucky to come from a family of reciters and readers. My great-great-aunt Helen, probably born a decade or so after the Civil War, was in her late 70s, maybe 80s, when I was 8 or 9. She came from a poetry-memorizing Victorian culture and knew long passages of Tennyson’s “Idylls of the King” and Longfellow’s “Song of Hiawatha” by heart. Whenever I visited, I asked her to “do ‘Hiawatha.’ ” To this day, I can still hear the rhythms and sounds of her delivery, particularly the way she enunciated Longfellow’s “Indian” names. They conjured up miraculous visual images, natural and supernatural: a woman descends from the moon to earth; a rainbow turns into a field of flowers; birds and forest animals speak. 

I love to see how a love of words - especially poetry - spreads to a love of all kinds of creative activities. Language is a door to wonder in general, isn't it?  
 
Click here to read Cotter's short and lovely essay. 

------------------------------
Poetry Friday today is being hosted by Lisa over at Steps and Staircases (on Tumblr.) Head over there for links to what other people have posted.

4 comments:

  1. Julie, I read this last night and I couldn't agree with you more; it is just lovely. I love the last lines, when he's describing his reaction to "Blue Window" by Matisse: "I liked that it had stories not yet told. There was room for a writer-to-be in there." A door to wonder indeed! Thanks for sharing this. It deserves a wide audience.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful essay! And, any child is lucky to come from a poetry memorizing family! I did as well - my paternal grandfather memorized and quoted Shakespeare. I didn't know what it meant, but I sure loved it. Just before he died, he bequeathed his set of tiny Shakespeare volumes to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, Thanks for sharing about this First Crush series. I intend to read more in the series.

    Yes, there are many doors leading to wonder. Poetry and books are big doors for me!

    Lisa
    www.stepsandstaircases.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had memorized some poetry when I was younger. We were never required to do that in my classes in the late 50s and 60s. Now, I consider myself lucky if I can remember how to drive to work in the morning. Thanks for finding the essay for us!

    ReplyDelete