Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Poetry Friday Tra-La to SPRING!!

Welcome 
to the 
Round-Up
for 
Guess what? 
It's spring! 

I'm so happy to be hosting the Poetry Friday Round-Up today - it's the first full day of spring. O, oh, oh, lovely, glorious, yahoo, hooray, spring, spring, SPRING! I feel like bursting into song just as if I were in a Broadway musical. "Oh, what a beautiful morning...." (only it's Seattle, folks, so maybe it's raining?) Still, I am so, so ready for the cherry trees to pink up, the skies to blue through, the tulips to bloom. As e.e. cummings wrote: 


Spring is like a perhaps hand
(which comes carefully
out of Nowhere) arranging
a window, into which people look (while
people stare
arranging and changing placing
carefully there a strange
thing and a known thing here) and

changing everything carefully

spring is like a perhaps
Hand in a window
(carefully to
and from moving New and
Old things, while
people stare carefully
moving a perhaps
fraction of flower here placing
an inch of air there) and

without breaking anything.

                                e.e. cummings

Photo by Keren Fisher


Now, down to business. If you have a Poetry Friday link to share, please let me know in the Comments section below by naming your site and giving me the URL for Friday's post.  I'll round things up periodically -  morning, noon and night. Happy spring, everyone!

Night Owls 

Steven Withrow is playing with animal names over at Crackles of Speech. 
 
At Gathering Books, Myra Garce-Bacsal pairs up a video of Tracy Chapman with a poem ("Woman Work") by Maya Angelou, in honor of Women's Month. 

Heidi Mordhorst is competing in the "March Madness" Poetry playoff and offers us a link to her poem (her fellow competitor is Linda Baie!) over at my juciy little universe.

At Teacher Dance, Linda Baie has a poem by Joyce Sutphen, plus a link to the March Madness playoff (where she competes with Heidi Mordhorst!) 

Look through BJ Lee's Blue Window for her March Madness playoff poem (assigned word: "fungibility"!!)

Robyn Hood Black welcomes spring at Life on the Deckle Edge with March's Student Haiku Poet of the Month, Marisa Schwarz.

Catherine at Reading to the Core shares an original poem inspired by a painting and Laura Shovan's Pantone Poetry Project.

At Alphabet Soup, Jama offers up some "poesy and posies a la Emily Dickinson" as well as Emily's recipe for Rice Cakes. In addition, you can follow Jama's "Contact Me" link to send her an email if you're interested in signing up for her Poetry Month Kidlitosphere project.  

Tabatha Yeatts at The Opposite of Indifference has posted a lovely poem by John Philip Johnson called "After the Changeling Incantation."

Okay, that's it for tonight. I'll do another round-up about 10:00 tomorrow morning (PST.) 

Ten More at Sun Up!

Laura Salas talks about how books change as we write them and how they can change us - she's the guest author on Kirby's Lane, the blog of author Kirby Larson. (Is that you standing on your head, Laura?) 

In response to the Two Teacher's Slice of Life writing challenge (a poem a day for a month!) Cathy over at Merely Day by Day has posted an original poem titled "The Line Between." 

At Author Amok, there's a fascinating explanation of the Welsh form called the "englyn," with examples in both English and Welsh - all courtesy of guest geographer/poet Michael Ratcliffe. And don't miss the Celtic music video. 

Tara Smith celebrates spring, too, at A Teaching Life - she's in with an original poem for the Slice of Life Challenge. 

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes is part of the March Madness madness, too, and posted her Round One poem at Today's Little Ditty .  

Irene Latham looks at Jon Muth's HI, KOO! over at Live Your Poem.  

There's Madness everywhere! Check out Buffy Silverman's Round One poem for the March Madness competition - that's over at Buffy's Blog

Doraine Bennet at Dori Reads delights us with a beautiful poem by Emily Dickinson (how wonderful, the idea of March being out of breath when it knocks at the door!) 

From the perspective of his March Madness poem this year, Matt Forest Esenwine looks back at his contribution from last year - that's at  Radio, Rhythm and Rhyme

Jeannine Atkins at What I'm Reading reviews an interesting new verse novel by Mariko Nagai. 

And a Mid-Morning Baker's Dozen! 

At Poetry Time, Charles Waters posts his fifth entry and fills it generously with three original poems, whetting our appetites with one from the Poetry Friday Science anthology,  one in competition at March Madness and one inspired by his first time on a jet ski!

Liz Steinglass's response to John Green and Sarah Urist Green's video project, The Art Assignment, is a poem that builds itself literally from the feet up (fantastic - how did she do that?) Head over to her website to see it. 

An original poem for the March Madness competition - "Perpetual Motion" - is up at Donna Smith's blog, Mainely Write. (Oh, I have a grandson who fits that poem to a T. ) 

The energetic Diane Mayr provides us with a trifecta of Poetry Friday posts: the first at Random Noodling (about poetry therapy),  the second at Kurious Kitty (a poem by W.B. Yeats) and the third at Kurious K's Kwotes (a quotation from Yeats.)

Vanissa and Matthew, both age 10, are the stars of Margaret Simon's post today, about using new words, over at Reflections on the Teche. 

Another star, this time only five years old - Nicolas's "drawn notes" of Hamlet and Ophelia. Check it out at Kortney's One Deep Drawer.

Emily Dickinson is definitely coming in on the springtime breeze! Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect has "Dear March" arriving at her door today.

Little Willow offers up a piece of Margaret Widdemer's "Song" over at Bildungsroman.

Ed DeCaria, who started the annual March Madness madness, reflects on what's been learned from the first four matchups over at Think, Kid, Think.

Over at All About the Books, Janet S. features Betsy Franco's A Curious Collection of Cats (with marvelous illustrations by Michael Wertz.) 

We get an acrostic poem this week from Joy at Poetry for Kids Joy. Mahalo to you, Joy!  

Lorie Ann Grover waxes poetic about the Palouse hills of Eastern Washington over at On Point, and she reviews Peek-a-Zoo! by Nina Laden at readertotz

Jone shares a Poetry Pairing at Check It Out. And don't miss the sign-up link for Jone's Postcard Poetry Project, now in its sixth year. 

And a Few More Drift in on the Spring Breeze...

Mary Lee Hahn helps us usher in the weekend at A Year of Reading with an original poem that goes perfectly with our Saturday or Sunday morning breakfast:  "Pancakes" (Yummm...)

Over at Semicolon, Sherry offers us one of the five Lucy poems written by William Wordsworth. I felt sure Wordsworth would make an appearance for the first full day of spring! 

And Amy Ludwig VanDerwater posts an original poem in response to one very original gift: a pine cone.  You'll find it at her blog, The Poem Farm. And congratulations, Amy, on winning the Cybils Poetry award this year - Forest Has a Song is a lovely book!!!
 

42 comments:

  1. Hi Julie dearest, thank you for having this up so early, and for hosting this week. In keeping with Women's Month, I have Maya Angelou's Woman Work up on GatheringBooks today paired with Tracy Chapman singing "Woman's Work." :) Happy Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi Mordhurst (via Julie) offers up this link to her post about March Madness:
    http://myjuicylittleuniverse.blogspot.com/2014/03/march-madness-round-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was glorious today, but snow is coming on Saturday! Maybe the last one? Thank for hosting, Julie-beautiful pics & of course, beautiful poem. My post today has to do with connections, with another blogger & a poem. http://www.teacherdance.org/2014/03/2131-poem-connection-march-madness-not.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the e.e.cummings, Julie! Always so refreshing.
    Today, I'm posting about March Madness since I seem to quite mad this March.
    http://bluewindow.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, happy Spring, Julie! Thanks for hosting today. Love the poem choice, especially as I've been unpacking (still!)and arranging and rearranging in the house this late evening.

    I'm welcoming Spring with our Student Haiku Poet of the Month for March, Marisa Schwartz: http://www.robynhoodblack.com/blog.htm?post=951339

    ReplyDelete
  6. TYPO alert - that's Heidi Mordhorst! (Sorry Heidi!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for hosting, Julie! Love the idea that spring might get here eventually. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the cummings.
    Today I'm sharing an original poem inspired by a painting and Laura Shovan's Pantone Poetry Project. (Better late than never, right?)
    http://readingtothecore.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/solc-2014-poetry-friday-2/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cummings is my fave poet -- love all his Spring poems!

    Today I'm featuring some poesy and posies a la Emily Dickinson + her recipe for Rice Cakes.

    Also asking anyone who'd like to be included in my 2014 Poetry Month Kidlitosphere Roundup to send me an email.

    http://wp.me/p1GE6P-3ge

    Thanks for hosting this week, Julie. Happy Spring!

    (my link goes live at 6 a.m. EDT)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting us, Julie! Beautiful cherry blossom you have there. We have a cherry blossom tree in our front yard, but it is not even *thinking* about blooming yet.

    I have a poem by John Philip Johnson today called After the Changeling Incantation: http://tabathayeatts.blogspot.com/2014/03/gooseness.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. perhaps Hand is the perfect way to describe spring! Very tentative this year in Minnesota!

    I'm in with a post about books and how they change along the way and how they change us. It's at Kirby Larson's blog, Kirby's Lane. It will go live at 7:30 a.m. Central time at http://kirbyslane.blogspot.com/

    Thanks for hosting, Julie! And sorry about the tech glitch:>(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring - the perfect time for poetry. Beautiful poem. You make me wish I would've written a spring poem.

    Instead today, I have an original poem about that moment between day and night.

    The Line Between http://merelydaybyday.blogspot.com/2014/03/slice-of-life-line-between-21-of-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning, Julie. What a perfect, gentle poem for the first day of spring.

    At Author Amok, we're learning about the "englyn" -- a traditional Welsh form of poetry. Geographer & poet Mike Ratcliffe stops by to share the history of the form and some examples.

    http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2014/03/poetry-friday-introducing-englyn.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for hosting today, Julie...with e.e.cummings! Perfect. Here's my Spring offering:
    http://ateachinglifedotcom.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/slice-of-life-march-challengepoetry-friday-march-21st-2014-in-celebration-of-the-first-day-of-spring/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for hosting today, Julie. Cummings is welcome at my house!

    The ghost text thing happened to me before. Go to edit the post where the ghost text originates from. If you click to view as html, you will see more than one copy of that text. Delete the extra, offending copy. (At least, that's how I took care of the problem.)

    On Today's Little Ditty, I also have a celebration of Spring and March Madness too (the poetry kind). http://michellehbarnes.blogspot.com/2014/03/march-madness.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julie and happy first full day of spring back at you! Yay!! I'm in with my recent adventures in haiku and a look at HI, KOO! by Jon J Muth. http://www.irenelatham.blogspot.com/2014/03/adventures-in-haiku-and-hi-koo-by-jon-j.html

    Thanks for hosting, and I feel your pain with the mysterious overwriting.. wish I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What better way to start spring than with cherry blossoms and e.e. cummings!

    I've got my March Madness poem up on my blog today:
    http://buffysilverman.com/blog/?p=407

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for hosting, Julie. This one from Cummings is one of my favorites. I have spring with Emily Dickinson today.

    http://dorireads.blogspot.com/2014/03/poetry-friday-dear-march.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for hosting, Julie! Love this from Mr. Cummings. Today I have a short post about the #MMPoetry competition, as well as a look back at my poem from last year: http://mattforrest.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/mmpoetry-2014-and-a-look-back/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie, thank you for hosting and sorely needed thoughts of spring! I wrote about a new verse novel set during WW II, dust of eden, by Mariko Nagai at: http://jeannineatkinsonwritingandstuff.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/what-im-reading-dust-of-eden-by-mariko-nagai/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for hosting Julie.

    I'm happy to share my 5th POETRY TIME blog post.

    http://www.charleswaterspoetry.com/#!POETRY-TIME-BLOG-5/c23vc/61CCFF9B-D118-4DEF-8E36-7FE8AA3EEC5E

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for those photos of spring flowers! It is warming up here in DC but this morning is gray, gray, gray. I am sharing my post from earlier in the week. It's my response to Sarah Urist Green and John Green's new video series The Art Assignment. Thanks for hosting!

    http://elizabethsteinglass.com/2014/03/the-art-assignment-3/

    ReplyDelete
  22. My poem Perpetual Motion today/
    http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2014/03/perpetual-poetry.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. I took the day off today, so I'm not even an early bird! At Random Noodling I have some thoughts about poetry therapy.

    http://randomnoodling.blogspot.com/2014/03/poetry-friday-poetry-o-therapy.html

    Kurious Kitty has small poem by W. B. Yeats, "A Coat." http://kuriouskitty.blogspot.com/2014/03/poetry-friday-coat.html

    And, you'll find a Yeats quote at KK's Kwote. http://www.kkskwotes.blogspot.com/2014/03/poetry-friday_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. My students amaze me when they use big words! http://reflectionsontheteche.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/big-words/

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks so much for hosting and for the e.e.

    here's a tiny peek into our 4 yr old's sketchbook. (is this what all 4 yr olds think/draw about?)

    https://onedeepdrawer.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/hamlet-ophelia/

    peace keep you.

    p.s. love the skeleton over your desk...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Julie,
    I'm in today with Emily Dickinson. We still had snow in Virginia this week, so I'm desperately in need of spring!
    http://missrumphiuseffect.blogspot.com/2014/03/poetry-friday-is-it-spring-yet.html
    Thanks for hosting.
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good morning, everyone!

    Thanks for hosting! I posted a piece of Song by Margaret Widdemer at my blog, Bildungsroman:
    http://slayground.livejournal.com/776103.html
    http://slayground.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Julie--I commented earlier--here's the exact link to the post:

    http://kirbyslane.blogspot.com/2014/03/friend-friday_21.html

    Thanks!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, Julie!

    After a loooooong break, I'm looking to get back into the Poetry Friday groove by presenting some VERY interesting results from the first four matchups of the March Madness Poetry 2014 tournament. Ever wonder if there's a gap between how kids perceive poetry and how kids' POETS perceive poetry? This post starts to reveal some clues! http://www.thinkkidthink.com/mmpoetry-2014-what-did-we-learn-from-the-first-four-matchups/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for hosting.
    My selection is "A Curious Collection of Cats: concrete poems" by Betsy Franco with illustrations by Michael Wertz.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Julie,
    Thanks for hosting the Roundup this week. I have an acrostic poem, HAWAIIAN THANK YOU, and a poetry challenge up today. I'm feeling so much gratitude for spring. My blog is Poetry for Kids Joy, I'm at: http://www.poetryforkidsjoy.blogspot.com

    Hope everyone has a great Poetry Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So happy to visit you on Poetry Friday! At On Point I have Life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. And at readertotz, we are celebrating Peek-a-Zoo by Nina Laden.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for hosting. The Portland trees are in full bloom. I am sharing a Poetry Pairing;http://maclibrary.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/poetry-friday-poetry-pairing-2/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for hosting. I've got an original this week, perfect for Saturday or Sunday breakfast (since I'm linking in late) -- Pancakes!

    http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2014/03/poetry-friday-pancakes.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Spring! My poem for today is Lucy II by William Wordsworth.

    http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=9655

    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What an enchanting poem to kick off the welcome spring! I'm late, but I'm here with a poem about a pinecone and a friend -

    http://www.poemfarm.amylv.com/2014/03/a-gift-from-pocket-school-visit.html

    Thank you for hosting. Happy Poetry Friday! xo, a.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Enjoying working my way through the roundup this Saturday morning--and, yes, that is me standing on my head. My big sisters were all gymnasts, so that meant I got lots of "lessons," too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Julie, I am back to read and comment on participating posts and just love the way you've organized the posts! Thanks for hosting.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks, everyone, for the lovely Poetry Friday - I had a ball linking up to each post and seeing what was being offered. Sometimes, on Fridays, I save the linking up for "when I have time" and then don't have time - I miss whole weeks that way, or only get around to a handful of blogs. Hosting is a treat because it slows me down and encourages me to take a longer look at all the sites...it's quite nice to get the feel of things that way.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Julie, here is a link to the forum that helped me get rid of my own ghost text problem on blogger. Hope they can help you! https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/blogger

    ReplyDelete
  42. Michelle - Hooray, hooray - I found someone who had asked the same question and gotten an answer - I followed those directions and they worked!! Ghost text is gone. I feel like I got some kind of "cleaning" at a santeria ritual!! Thank you so much for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete