Thursday, December 2, 2010

Book Covers - Masks on Faces, Maps on Hands, Food on Fork, Etc.

The Kid Table by Andrea Seigel (book design by Nicole Gastonguay)
The lovely people over at Jacket Knack are asking for opinions about Favorite Covers of 2010, and I went a little nuts, suggesting maybe 25-30 of my favorites (on their Facebook page.) I was having fun, and I was a little out of control. I love cover art. I love design - wanted to study it at Berkeley until politics got in the way (it was the '60's - and Design seemed elitist....)  But oh, my, maybe if I'm reincarnated, I'll come back as a book cover designer.

That, or an otter.


Here are some of my favorite book covers of the year (some for adults, some for kids):

Keeper by Kathi Appelt
Socksquatch by Frank W. Dormer
In Front of My House by Marianne Dubuc

Dark Emperor & Other Poems of the Night by Joyce Sidman (illustrated by Rick Allen)

Wild Alphabet by Dan Green (book design by Julie Frolich)

Freefall by Mindi Scott (book design by Mike Rosamilia)
Dinosaurs? by Lila Prap
Ubiquitous by Joyce Sidman (illustrated by Beckie Prange)
Farm by Elisha Cooper

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper(book design by Debra Sfetsios)

They Called Themselves the K.K.K. by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
(book design by YAY Designs - who also did the fabulous cover of The Secret of the Yellow Death)
Chicken Big by Keith Graves
Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword by Barry Deutsch


Boss Baby by Marla Frazee
 


Moral Ground edited by Kathleen Dean Moore and Michael P. Wilsson

Milk Eggs Vodka by Bill Keaggy
The Luzhin Defense by Vladimir Nabokov (design by Paul Sahre)

3 comments:

  1. Stunning. Every one of these is a knockout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic selection of covers--but I have to admit that my favorite image here is the otter.

    I demand more otter representation on book covers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like One Crazy Summer (the font is great), but the students do not seem to find it appealing. Maybe just too much of a cartoon for middle school. They like the book once they check it out.

    ReplyDelete