Friday, September 21, 2012

Poetry Friday: Mbarka Mint al-Barra'

Artisans from Fez at work constructing the Moroccan Courtyard - Art of Arab Lands, Metropolitan Museum of Art

I got home recently from a wonderful trip to New York City, where I fell head over heels in love with the new Art of Arab Lands galleries at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (under renovation and construction for the last eight years.) You can read all about my trip here (Books Around the Table - the blog I share with my writing group - please do go there to catch the links to the Met website about this project) and what the craftsmanship on exhibit in these galleries did to me...stopped me in my tracks, wowed me, thrilled me, awed me, amazed me,...I'm not sure I've found the right verb for it yet. They certainly made me wish I had another whole week just to take in everything on view. In honor of that experience, I'm posting a poem written originally in Arabic by the poet Mbarka Mint al-Barra' of Mauritania (just south of Morocco in West Africa) for today's Poetry Friday. Not sure how good the translation is, but here is an excerpt from it. The full poem can be found at the link below and at the website of the Poetry Translation Centre. I don't know anything about the poetry of the Arab world - time to learn!

Poetry and I 

The sin is that I wasn't a stone
     And the troubles of the world make me sleepless
And I shield myself with poetry
     And it keeps me company when I'm far from home
And poetry is my satchel that I will always carry with me
     It holds the taste and fragrance of the earth
It holds thickets of prickly branches
     It holds palm fronds loaded with dates
It paints all the stories of love in my language
     Its colours form the spectrum from grape to dawn....

[Read the full poem here....]

Textile Fragment, 14th Century, Nasrid


Mihrab - Prayer Niche

13th Century Astrolabe from Yemen - Brass - Cast, Hammered, Pierced, Chased, Inlaid with Silver
For a gorgeous educators' guide to the galleries (or just to see more of the collection) go here for a PDF that is not to be missed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And for more Poetry Friday poems, head over to the round-up at NO WATER RIVER, blog of the wonderful and energetic Renee LaTulippe, who knows a thing or two or three about good poetry.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, Julie. The Met is such a beautiful museum. Next time I'm in NYC, I'll have to visit those galleries.

    My favorite lines were:
    "And poetry is my satchel that I will always carry with me
    It holds the taste and fragrance of the earth." And the last line, what a knock-out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem. I must admit that I am remiss as well. I spent several weeks in Bahrain sometime in 2009 and 2010, and learned a little bit about the Middle Eastern culture - so rich, and so filled with life, vibrance, and pride in their wondrous and ancient heritage. Time to learn more, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really lovely. Thank you for the introduction and sharing of this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day, one day I will visit New York - and I will want to spend a whole week in the Met... The poem is beautiful and I think I'm going to have to come back and savour it more slowly...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a fascinating poem, and I loved comparing the literal translation with the final version. The whole process of translation boggles my mind. These are my favorite lines:

    It paints all the stories of love in my language

    Its colours form the spectrum from grape to dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always amazed by the mosaic work - that prayer niche is incredible!! Thanks for the enlightenment today.

    ReplyDelete